Thursday, January 5, 2012

'To Read Is To Fly'

"To read is to fly: it is to soar to a point of vantage which gives a view over wide terrains of history, human variety, ideas, shared experience and the fruits of many inquiries"

A.C. Grayling, Financial Times

I have been contemplating whether to write a post about New Year resolutions but even with a very perfunctory search online and you will find a treasure trove of amazing blog posts, articles and discussions on that very topic.  How to choose them, how to stay on track, what to do when you stumble...it's all there. 
I can't compete with these wise psychologists, managers, life coaches and so on, in fact I'm studying a few of them to come up with my own new year plans.
So I have decided against reinventing the wheel, I'd probably have nothing new to add.
Instead I'm going to tell you what's sitting on my bedside table waiting to be read in 2012.  I'm not endorsing most of these books yet as I have still to read them, though I am familiar with some of the writers and hold them in high regard.

I'll review some of them when I read them.

Here's my line-up:
(1) Message From An Unknown Chinese Mother

This book is by a Chinese journalist who has interviewed hundreds of women in China about their real lives.  Ten interviews feature in the book telling of the problem of China's one child policy and it's implications for real women and the girls they conceive.  I came across the book on a review website and it promises to be something I will not forget easily.  A number of years ago I read another book called A Mother's Ordeal by Stephen Mosher which played on my mind for years, and still does. Here is a review of it from The Population Research Institute:


I'm guessing this book will do the same.  I'm planning to keep some hankies in the vicinity.

(2) Style, Sex and Substance 


I'm going to read this book because I absolutely love Hallie Lord's blog:


She is one sassy dame.

(3) The Emotions God Gave You


This book I am willing to endorse in advance, simply because this couple's previous book 'The Temperament God Gave You' is one of the greatest parenting tools we have ever come across. A side effect of studying the temperaments as a couple in order to better understand our children, without even having it as our aim, our marriage benefited hugely.  Understanding temperament is not a method or something you do, but rather learning to see and understand what is already there.  I am so excited to start reading the Bennetts' latest guide.

(4) Marriage-Small Steps, Big Rewards


Another book I am willing to wholeheartedly recommend in advance.  Dr Ray Guarendi is a father of 10, a clinical psychologist of many years experience, author, public speaker and best of all, host of the radio show The Doctor Is In, where listeners telephone with their questions.  I try to listen to the show as often as possible with my iPhone radio app, even my girls adore him-he's funny, friendly and importantly, wise and authentic in his advice which is not tarred with what he calls 'Psycholigical Correctness' I love him!!

Here's a little taster:



(5) Time Management For Dummies


I don't need to explain this one: I'm a dummy and I want to blog about time management :-)

What are your reading plans for the coming year? I'd love to glean some ideas...


Lifestyle Blogs
blog directory

1 comment:

  1. There's so much I'd like to read; but there's never enough time. Right now I'm reading Chaucer's Canterbury Tales ... once again.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave your thoughts...I will not approve disrespectful, personal or inflammatory comments, especially if they are under Anonymous. If you want to partake in online abuse I recommend trying elsewhere.